This four-week course includes:
- Three, one-hour, live, interactive webinars, in which you will get the chance to ask Clare questions.
- Twelve+ videos, in which Clare will share publishing industry insights and give top tips on writing picture book texts, using published picture books by best-selling authors to demonstrate the tricks and techniques you can explore in your own writing.
- One workbook module per week over four weeks, each examining a different aspect of picture book storytelling.
- Each module, full of advice based on Clare Whitston’s and Jo Collin’s extensive experience in the picture book publishing industry, includes notes on the week’s topic, exercises to improve your writing, and a weekly assignment. These are self-guided assignments to be completed in your own time.
- A private Facebook group in which you can ask Clare Whitston questions about the course, gain support and share your journey with your peers.
- NEW! An end of course masterclass with Jo Collins (Director of Picture Books). Jo will discuss the picture book publishing industry today, and what publishers are looking for.
This course is perfect for anyone with a passion for picture books, ideas for their own stories and a willingness to learn the craft. It is particularly relevant for those who wish to prepare their application for the Academy’s popular one-year picture book writing programme.
If you have any questions about this course please contact: [email protected].
You need only three things to apply for this course:
- A passion for picture books
- A story idea
- A willingness to learn how to develop your craft
Next course start date: TBD
For updates on this course, please join the How To Be A Picture Book Writer course waitlist by clicking the button below.
Week One: Free your imagination
Engage your inner child as we get to know the child audience and learn how to identify the best picture book story ideas for today’s market.
Week 2: Shape up your character
We consider the unique characteristics of picture book writing and discover the secret to creating memorable characters.
Week 3: Shake up your story
Get plotting as we learn all about structure, shape and building your storyline.
Week 4: Win with your ending
We look at the ingredients for a winning story ending and get to know the picture book publishing industry, the people you’ll work with, and the creative process from commissioned text to finished book.
Graduates from our picture book courses have gone on to sign publishing deals with Andersen Press, Penguin Random House, Nosy Crow, Little Tiger, and Barefoot Books, amongst others. Numerous writers have also signed contracts with literary agents such as The Catchpole Agency and Peters, Fraser & Dunlop, to name a few. Click here to learn more about Golden Egg Academy success stories.